Ronan van der Zee received the MSc degree (cum laude) in electrical engineering from the University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands in 1994. In 1999 he received the PhD degree from the same university on the subject of high efficiency audio amplifiers. That same year he joined Philips Semiconductors, where he worked on class AB and class D audio amplifiers. After leaving Philips and spending more than a year travelling around the world, he returned to the University of Twente to become an assistant professor at the IC-Design group.
His current research interests are linear and switching power amplifiers, RF frontends and Wireless sensor networks. Ronan teaches several courses and is chairman of the EE program committee (opleidingscommissie). In 2011, he received the "Onderwijsprijs EL", the Electrical Engineering educational award.
D. Ye, R. van der Zee, B. Nauta, "An Ultra-Low-Power Receiver Using Transmitted-Reference and
Shifted Limiters for In-Band Interference Resilience", ISSCC Digest Tech. Papers, Feb 2016.
S. Amir, R.A.R. van der Zee, B. Nauta, "An improved modeling and Analysis Technique for Peak Current mode control based boost converters", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics vol. 30. No 9, pp 5309-5317, September 2015.
H. Ma, R. van der Zee and B. Nauta, "A High-Voltage Class-D Power Amplifier With Switching Frequency Regulation for Improved High-Efficiency Output Power Range", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 50, Issue 6, pp 1451 - 1462. June 2015.
R. Dutta, R. van der Zee, A.B.J. Kokkeler, M.J. Bentum, E.A.M. Klumperink, B. Nauta, "An Ultra Low Energy FSK Receiver With In-Band Interference Robustness Exploiting a Three-Phase Chirped LO", IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, Vol. 4, Issue 3, August 2014.
H. Ma, R.A.R. van der Zee and B. Nauta, "Design and Analysis of a High-Efficiency High-Voltage Class-D Power Output Stage," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 49, Issue 7, pp 1514 - 1524. July 2014.
H. Ma, R.A.R. van der Zee, B. Nauta, “An Integrated 80V 45W Class-D Power Amplifier with Optimal-Efficiency-Tracking Switching Frequency Regulation”, ISSCC Digest Tech. Papers, pp 286-287, Feb 2014.
- M. Darvishi, R. van der Zee, B. Nauta, "Design of Active N-Path Filters", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Dec. 2013 Volume: 48, Issue 12, Pages 2962 - 2976.
- H. Ma, R.A.R. van der Zee, B. Nauta, "An Integrated 80-V Class-D Power Output Stage with 94% Efficiency in a 0.14um SOI BCD Process", ESSCIRC Bucharest Romania, Sept 16-20 2013.
- Dutta, R. and Klumperink, E.A.M. and Gao, X. and Ru, Z. and Zee, R.A.R. van der and Nauta, B. (2013) "Flip-Flops for accurate multiphase clocking: transmission gate versus current mode logic." IEEE transactions on circuits and systems II: Express briefs, 60 (7). pp. 422-426.
- D Ye, P Lu, P Andreani, R van der Zee, " A wide bandwidth fractional-N synthesizer for LTE with phase noise cancellation using a hybrid-ΔΣ-DAC and charge re-timing " International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), 2013, p 169-172.
- Darvishi, M. and Zee, R.A.R. van der and Nauta, B. (2013) "A 0.1-to-1.2GHz tunable 6th-order N-path channel-select filter with 0.6dB passband ripple and +7dBm blocker tolerance." In: IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, ISSCC 2013, 17-21 February 2013, San Francisco, CA, USA
- S.S.T. Youssef, R.A.R. van der Zee, B. Nauta "Active Feedback Technique for RF Channel Selection in Front-End Receivers", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Dec. 2012 Volume: 47, Issue 12, Pages 3130-3144.
- M. Darvishi, R. van der Zee, E.A.M. Klumperink, B. Nauta, "Widely Tunable 4th Order Switched Gm-C Band-Pass Filter Based on N-Path Filters", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol.47, no.12, pp.3105-3119, Dec. 2012
- S. Youssef, R.A.R. van der Zee, B. Nauta, "Active Feedback Receiver with Integrated Tunable RF Channel Selectivity, Distortion Canceling, 48dB Stop-Band Rejection and > +12dBm Wideband IIP3, Occupying < 0.06mm2 in 65nm CMOS", 2012 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), Digest of Technical Papers, Feb. 19-23, 2012 Page(s):166 – 167
- Milad Darvishi, Ronan van der Zee, Eric Klumperink, Bram Nauta, "A 0.3GHz to 1.2GHz tunable 4th order switched gm-C Band-Pass Filter with >55dB Ultimate Rejection and out-of-band IIP3=+29dBm", 2012 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), Digest of Technical Papers, Feb. 19-23, 2012 Page(s):358 – 359
- Dutta, Ramen and Kokkeler, AndrÃ© B.J. and Zee van der, Ronan and Bentum, Mark J. (2011) "Performance of chirped-fsk and chirped-psk in the presence of partial-band interference". In: 18th Annual Symposium on Communications and Vehicular Technology in the Benelux 2011, 22-23 November 2011, Gent, Belgium.
- R. Dutta, R. v. d. Zee, M. J. Bentum and A. B. J. Kokkeler "Choosing Optimum Noise Figure and Data Rate in Wireless Sensor Network Radio Transceivers", International Communications Conference (ICC), June 5-9, 2011.
- C.H.J. Mensink, A.J.M. van Tuijl, S.L.J. Gierkink, F. Mostert, R.A.R. van der Zee ""A High-Efficiency 4x45W Car Audio Power Amplifier using Load Current Sharing", VLSI Circuits symposium, 15-18 June 2010, Honolulu, Hawaii, pp 61 - 62.
- Dutta, R. and Bentum, M.J. and Zee, R.A.R. van der and Kokkeler, A.B.J. (2009) "Low power radio communication platform for wireless sensor network." In: International Union of Radio Science Benelux Forum 2009, 8 June 2009, Delft, The Netherlands.
- Ronan van der Zee, Fred Mostert, "Output Impedance Shaping for Frequency Compensation of MOS Audio Power Amplifiers", IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, Vol. 44, No. 3, March 2009, pp 928-34.
- R. Shrestha, R.A.R. van der Zee, A.J.M. de Graauw, B. Nauta, "A Wideband Supply Modulator for 20MHz RF Bandwidth Polar PAs in 65nm CMOS", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 44, No. 4, April 2009, pp 1272-80.
- Shrestha, R., Zee, R.A.R. van der , Graauw, A.J.M de , Nauta, B. "A Wideband Supply Modulator for 20MHz RF Bandwidth Polar PAs in 65nm CMOS" 2008 VLSI symposium, June 17-20, Hawaii.
- R.A.R. van der Zee, R. van Heeswijk, “Frequency Compensation of an SOI BCD Car Audio PA” 2006 IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), Digest of Technical Papers, Feb. 6-9, 2006 Page(s):1356 – 1365.
- van der Zee, R.A.R. and van Heeswijk, R. (2006) "Frequency Compensation of an Audio Power Amplifier." In: Proceedings of the 17th Annual Workshop on Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing, 23-24 Nov 2006, Veldhoven.
- RAR van der Zee, " High Efficiency Audio Power Amplifiers " TIJDSCHRIFT-NEDERLANDS ELEKTRONICA EN RADIOGENOOTSCHAP, 1999, Volume 64, Issue 5, pp 253.
- R.A.R. van der Zee, A.J.M. van Tuijl, “A power-efficient audio amplifier combining switching and linear techniques”; IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 34, Iss. 7, July 1999 Page(s):985 – 991.
- Ronan van der Zee "High efficiency audio power amplifiers; design and practical use" , Universiteit Twente, 118 pp., PhD thesis, ISBN 90-36512875.
- R.A.R. van der Zee, A.J.M. van Tuijl "A Power Efficient Audio Amplifier Combining Switching and Linear Techniques", Proceedings of the 24th European Solid-State Circuits Conference, Sept 22-24, 1998, pp. 288-291, The Hague, The Netherlands isbn. 2-86332-235-4.
- R.A.R. van der Zee, A.J.M. van Tuijl "A High Efficiency Class D + Class AB Audio Power Bridge Amplifier", 105th convention of the Audio Engineering Society, San Fransisco, preprint #4777, Sept. 26-29, 1998.
- R.A.R. van der Zee, A.J.M. van Tuijl "Test Signals for Measuring the Efficiency of Audio Amplifiers", 104th convention of the Audio Engineering Society, Amsterdam, preprint #4648, 16-19 May 1998.
- R.A.R. van der Zee and A.J.M. van Tuijl "A High Efficiency Low Distortion Audio Power Amplifier", 103rd convention of the Audio Engineering Society, New York, preprint #4601, Sept. 1997.